Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Upgrades, Premiums, Arms, Legs, etc.

I've been trolling the Hawthorne Villager forums and have found some interesting (and not-so-interesting :s) numbers regarding upgrades

Theses are approximates, not specific to any model, nor will be applicable to Seaton Creekside:

  • 9' ft ceilings on the main floor ($5000)*; 2nd level ($8300)


  • Hardwood on mainfloor* ($5000+)


  • Stained Oak Stair Case ($9000)


  • Maple Stairs with Wrought-iron spindles* ($6-8000)


  • Granite Kitchen Countertops ($5000+)* (this one is will be my 1st maybe)


  • Potlights ($200-250/ea)* (this one is a tough decision, may do this after closing)


  • Garage to House Door* ($1200)


  • 3 Piece Basement Rough-in* ($580)


  • Kitchen Backsplash ($1000+)


  • Smooth Ceilings 1st Floor* ($1000), 2nd Floor ($2300)

What I've read about lot premiums:



  • $20-25k for a lot backing onto greenspace

  • $5k for a lot with a look out

  • $20k for something backing onto a school or park

Again, all estimates and not from 1st party sources...but definitely something to consider into budgeting and choosing a lot.




Some of these costs I really didn't think of before I began looking for a new home. Some prices seem fair to me however, some seem crazy and overpriced...so now comes the task of choosing what I feel would be worth it and can't be revisited with a reno in the future. I've indicated with asterisks which I feel I may/will be adding to my home purchase price. And i'm working with a budget around $20000...so we'll see how this plays out in the end.

No comments: